Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Crumpler - Squid stuff-satchel

It's been quite some time since I added a new Crumpler bag to my collection. Back in 2012 I covered the New Year lucky red Hillman Hunter which was originally meant to be a new satchel for Omega, but seemed to fall into the role of "Tactical Baby" nappy bag.

Prior to that I had covered a Thirsty Al utility pouch and one of the John Thursday camera bags but my first love with Crumpler was their Considerable Embarrassment laptop and courier satchel. I loved that bag. I loved it to death. Crumpler offer a serious lifetime guarantee on their bags, but I had started finding my EDC was getting too much for a shoulder-sling bag to be comfortable lugging, so I moved to twin-shoulder strapped bags.

So, I've following along as new developments come along in the Crumpler line-up, and as Giftmas approached, I spotted a really good deal on their stuff-sack, The Squid.

The Squid is a lightweight, versatile drawstring backpack. It reminded me of the very slick First Strike - Snatch Bag ii  but obviously with a fair bit more marketing and design nuance put in.

The Squid features two storage zones, the main compartment holds 20L and is closed by the dual-coloured extra-thick drawstrings, and a smaller zippered front pocket. That front pocket was big enough to carry my Propper Liberty bottle,  although not enough to zipper it up. The internals of the main compartment are spacious but lacks any internal structure.

The pack is made of a weatherproof 150d ripstop outer fabric which has a very nice texture, and a fairly reliably water resistant. Spills and sloshes seem to run right off it.

Lightweight at only 200g (7oz) and compact, there are no frills, bells or whistles to get in the way of its simplicity. It sits at 28 cm (11.02") wide, and 43 cm (16.93") tall width a depth of  22 cm (8.66"). It easily fits a Nalgene bottle, and the combined Go! Hammock and Go! Apex shelter tarp
easily. The lack of structure means that the pack gets a bit lumpy, but it certainly makes for an easy carry when you don't have to lug a whole ruck around.

It would be perfect for stashing gym or beach gear, groceries, or supplies for a quick bug-out if you hadn't already prepared a bug-out-bag. Equal parts simple and useful.

When slung, the Squid holds itself shut, as the drawstrings also form the shoulder straps. Under a heavy load, they don't offer much padding, but again, it isn't meant to be a full-on ruck.


One of the nice things about its design is that the zipper pocket's internal attachment is sewn such that the whole bag folds up into itself and stows away in a bundle the size of two coffee mugs.

I'm going to be using the Squid as my wet-gear bag, and as an occasional snatch-and-grab bag. I respect and admire the Crumpler products, so I think it will serve me well.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...