Monday, December 9, 2013

Review: SAR GlobalTool - ODDjob knife


My buddy Spencer of SAR Global Tool has been busy grinding away at his workbench, adding to his collection of edged tools. Check out his Facebook page, to see the amazing reclaimed file and rasp Bowie knives project, and the ever lustful Inglorious Basterds blades.

You may well remember the SAR Global Tool Micro Elite signal disks, the ever popular Moon-Glow signal disks (I have worn mine around my neck for so long the SOLAS tape has worn off, that's saying something!), the fabulous and devilishly popular with the ladies Dead Ringer Ti comb, and the Dog-Tag Eclipse signal system and the even sneakier bladed version.

Now I have one of his awesome pointies.

This is the ODDjob knife, a 1" x 5" little blade made of  1/4" thick CPMD2 steel. This exotic steel has been treated to HRc 59-60 and stone tumbled to give a beautiful satin finish.

Usually featuring a drop point, simple edge,  but Spencer picked out this very nice recurved one for me, because he knows me well. The thinned down blade makes for an excellent pairing knife, just my style.The edge is keen, and easily controlled, even with its unusual curves.

Along with the individually fitted Kydex scabbard, with its six eyelets for lanyard or screw fitting to gear, this little knife was fitted with a really clever para-cord "Always Open" lanyard loop, a particular invention of Spencer's which utilises heat-shrink tubing to pinch the paracord into a loop, giving a pinkie-hooking structure to grip and deply the blade with a quick tug, whilst remaining unobtrusive.

If I wear this knife behind my ID badge lanyard right, only the loop pokes out. Ready for all those odd jobs. The handle features brown canvas micarta scales, cross cut to show off that spectacular grain. and with inlaid signalling mirrors. This was a delightful extra Spencer threw in for me, as the regular ODDjob's are just naked steel.

With the finger notches textured scale and the finger loop, this little knife fits nicely in my hands, aided by the light crenelations on the spine.

I really like the blade geometry, and the uniqueness of the whole piece. If you can score one, when Spencer (and now Scott, too) are at the grinders, they' be well suited to adding to your utility collection.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...